Archive for December, 2007
Can you feel that? That excitement so palatable it tastes like chicken? That would be coming from my kids…
In between constantly checking Norad for Santa’s whereabouts, we managed to bake treats for his arrival,
…unwrap and don the new Christmas Eve jammies…
…prepare a tray of snacks complete with choice of either white or chocolate milk and special gift…
…and lay out a snack for the reindeer as well (labelled, as I assume flying reindeer can read or Santa might help himself to those as well)…
…And despite the fact that I have tucked the girls in their beds, I could not help but check Norad for Santa’s whereabouts myself, and was surprised to see he was in Newfoundland already…
Dear Santa… would you mind partaking in a bit of Newfie hospitality while you’re in the neighbourhood… I’m not quite ready over here yet! Yikes!
I better stop blogging and get moving….
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Paper. I love the look of wrapped packages. And I love wrapping packages. And I love the satisfaction of opening a wrapped package. I just hate shopping.
2. Real or artificial tree? Preference = real. Reality = fake. Dropping needles makes husband crazy. Un-crazy husband makes my life easier.
3. When do you put up the tree? Kids start asking the day after Halloween. Given that it’s a fake tree, I may just do that one year. Don’t actually have a set day we put it up but this year took advantage of a snow day.
4. When do you take the tree down? You’re supposed to take them down? Ahem… we’re probably one of the last in the neighborhood to tuck Christmas back in the boxes.
5. Do you like Eggnog? Is it spiked? Yes. And preferably.
6. Favorite Gift you received as a child? I probably played most with the Spirograph, but don’t know that it was one that made me go “Oooo… Ahhhh…” when I got it, because I rather expect I didn’t know what it was at first. As a child it was probably a doll that was a favorite.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Somewhere. It is very tiny and pewter. When the kids were little they would play farm with it so heaven only knows where it is now.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My father.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My kids.
10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? I got a used 8-track player from someone’s car in the mid-80s. I never owned an 8-track. I don’t think they were even made at that time. And I never put it in my car.
11. Christmas Cards…Snail mail or E-mail? I love getting snail mail cards. Especially ones with family pictures inside. I hope to be able to send those out some day. But I welcome greetings in whatever their form.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?I have a lot of favourites: Elf, Grinch (old one), Miracle on 34th Street (old one).
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When it occurs to me I need to start thinking about it. I think I bought my first gift this year in early November.
14. Have you ever ‘recycled’ a Christmas present? Not that I recall.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Turkey dinner. With mashed potatoes and gravey and cranberry and dressing, and….
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colours. Lots of colours.
17. Favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night.
18. Travel at Christmas or Stay Home? Preferably stay home, though it is not uncommon to have to drive to a Christmas dinner somewhere.
19. Can you name Santa’s Reindeer? Thanks to the song “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,” yes I can.
20. Do you have an Angel or a Star on top of your tree? My favorite tree topper is our Scooby-Doo angel but he lost a hand so has lost favour with the kids. This year Santa is on top of our tree.
21. Open the Presents Christmas Eve or Morning? The only presents that gets opened on Christmas Eve are the pj’s and ornament that each child gets every year. You hang your ornament on the tree and put on your new pj’s to await Santa’s visit.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Shopping. So darn many people shopping. And most of them are cranky.
23. Shopping…Mall or on-line? Regrettably I must use the mall.
24. Do you decorate outside for Christmas or just inside (or at all?) Only the inside, though I secretly long to decorate the outside too.
25. Favorite Christmas cookie? Any cookie not baked by me is welcome in this house. Bring them on.
26. Do you own Christmasy clothing or jewelry? No. But I have been playing with this site found from The Bloggess and imagining the fun I could have with some of those sweaters. (I created this impaled elf version for imaginary holiday job interviewing fun).
27. Do you believe in Santa? Of course I do.
28. Favorite ornament: An angel ballerina that does endless pirouettes.
I’ve lost a day! I’ve been strolling around, “counting sleeps” until Wednesday. Christmas. Confident in the fact that I had a full week left to get things done…
Then I read Calvin’s blog where her client didn’t know Tuesday was Christmas. “Oh, she means Christmas Eve,” thought I. Then I looked at a calendar. And discovered Tuesday really is Christmas. I’ve lost a complete day! (Technically a complete day I never really had, but its still a whole “sleep,” people!)
And to think I just tried to convince a panel of seven how finely honed my organizational skills are…